2%

In a recent interview on a Catalyst podcast, David Platt, pastor of Brooks Hills Church in Birmingham and author of Radical shared about how he challenges his people to give 2% of their lives to serve the Lord in a context different from their own, and he promises it will revolutionize the other 98% of their lives.

2% of your life breaks down to approximately one week. What would happen if you gave one week of your life to extend the work of the Kingdom of God into a place that desperately needs the light.

Over the years I have seen this transformation time in time again in the lives of the people I love and serve. I remember a young man from the tiny little down in the Panhandle of Texas climbing on an airplane for the first time in his life on a journey to Thailand. He came back with a heart for the world leading him to a change in his career and eventually to serving overseas on the mission field in South Asia. One of my favorite picture I have ever received was a picture of him baptizing a young man in a bathtub as part of a house church celebration.

I remember a group of senior adult quilters who delivered hand-made quilts to an inner city neighborhood in the process of giving away the work of their hands God confronted them with the work of His hands in the faces of the children. Within weeks, these godly women organized a summer camp for these children so they could experience life like the boys and girls in their home church.

This year why not spent one week of your vacation on “vocation” for the Kingdom. Go volunteer and make a difference in the lives of the least of these. I suspect it will be one of the best weeks of your life!

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.–Paul (Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV)

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s